Sunday, 21 October 2007

Peeling Gills

Peeling Gills

A macro shot of the gills from a bottom angle. The blotches of lights that passes thorough the between the leaves of the tree on top gives some very exiting blur and colour to the image.

Mushroom Gills are the technical term for the thin flaps that resemble fish-gills under the cap of a mushroom. They aren't there to help the mushroom breathe: rather, they are there to produce the spore (seeds, if you will) for the mushroom.

Not all mushrooms have gills under the cap: some have pores instead.

The area on a mushroom where the spores are produced, whether it is gills or pores or otherwise, is called generically the "Hymenophore".

(courtesy of

No comments: