Thursday 5 October 2006

Touching Nature

Touching Nature


This once again is at the Otways National Park in Great Ocean Road. There is some of these tall straight shooting tree around. I had placed one of my finger in the picture initially wanting to show the scale of how big these trees are. But of course the stupid me realises that I will hav to stick my hand near the tree to get the correct proportion. So finally, I "touched" the tree using my index finger. This was further enchanged in photoshop to create a higer dynamic range by using a brightened and another normal picture and masking them. I do not know the name of the tree, it might be the same family as the one featured below.




According to the researches of Dr A.C. Carder, the tallest tree ever measured was an Australian Eucalyptus regnans at Watts River, Victoria, Australia, reported in 1872 by forester William Ferguson. It was 132.6 m (435 ft) tall and almost certainly measured over 150 m (500 ft) originally.

Another Eucalyptus at Mt Baw Baw, Victoria, Australia, is believed to have measured 143 m (470 ft) in 1885.

The Dyerville Giant, a coast redwood, estimated to be 1,600 years old when it fell in March 1991, was proven to be 113.4 m (372 ft) high, not counting the 1.5 m (5 ft) of buried base. It grew in Humboldt Redwoods State Park, California, USA and was the tallest tree of modern times.

(courtesy guineessworldrecord.com)

No comments: